How Then Shall We Blog?

In diving into the readings and video of this post's focus, I am compelled to start by discussing the topic of "newness." As we discussed the concept in class, new media is predicated on our perspective of what is new. This important point was brought to the front of my mind as I read It's the Links, Stupid. I remember using LiveJournal--not as an exciting new media form but as a fad from junior high school through early high school. Before LiveJournal, it was Xanga. Both of these offered a better form of communication--faster, and incorporating many options, as the Economist reading explains. Thus, the article's subheading perfectly sums up blogging (both the article's premise and my experience): "Blogging is just another word for having conversations."

It is a conversation, enhanced and made easier in an online setting. Email is a direct, often one to one conversation; blogging allowed my friends and I to communicate our experiences and opinions simultaneously to each other (and to anyone else who wanted to read it). It incorporates video and pictures and allowed for immediate feedback. Never did I think about the implications of me using a form of "new media," but upon further consideration I am conflictingly inclined to retroactively label it as such.

"Conflictingly inclined...?"
Seven years forward and I am not only labeling my former habit, but also reengaging and at the same time critically questioning its meaning as well as its implications. Enter Andrew Sullivan's Why I Blog. Sullivan, in comparing blogs and diaries makes a great point. Whether by accident or not, the subject of a blog is naturally the author in many cases where growth and candid opinions are displayed. We reveal our beliefs as we blog, and as blog posts accumulate over time, readers can trace our intellectual, emotional, and personal growth. I am, however, still hesitant to call all blogging "new media."

Perhaps new media is defined by how it is used. This argument was brought up in class and to be honest, I had dismissed it, thinking it was a technicality based in semantics. But if I were to only type words here, include no hyperlinks, no images or video or sound, disallowed comments, and I wrote in the same polishing way that authors write books, would this be new media? Maybe not.

Just to be safe:


In all seriousness though, imagine listening to this without seeing the video. Imagine watching the video on television. Or imaging reading a transcript of it. Our perception would be completely altered. Comparing those perceptions with what we think when we actually visit YouTube and participate in comments and make our own videos--the differences are important. Also, consider Sullivan's and others' points about the openness of new media. Here we have a young teenager telling us what to do to be "successful." This is an example of supreme accessibility to be sure.

Perhaps I don't need the inclusion of a video just to be "new media" but it raises important points, the least of which is, how does one write new media?

New Media, New Writing


I cannot possibly comment on Sullivan's article without a consideration on how one writes new media text. The most pressing questions since I began to critically look at new media have been of style, credibility, and the meaning of success. Sullivan blogs in a way that writers for other media would call careless, at least. He savors the immediacy of blogging and loves that its style is "more free-form, more accident-prone, less formal, more alive." This brings me to my final questions--for now. How can I have any credibility when I have not built it through previous legitimate work? Is it even possible to build credibility in a media that, by its nature allows anyone and everyone to voice an opinion and never counts a voice out? From our first day as writers we are taught to form a concrete thesis and prove it in a very technical way in order to earn a reader's belief. We are taught to be patient in editing our work. In a participatory media where it is encouraged to speak informally and accept accidents, how does one truly succeed? Perhaps I will discover what exactly achieving means in a new media sense...Perhaps I should think about a regimen of uploading pictures with my blog address on them and publishing instructional YouTube videos.


....perhaps not.

3 comments:

Stephanie Spencer Smith said...

Good post, I liked the way you incorporated Sullivan's text directly and used it to engage discussion (pretty basic, but it works well for the post). I too can relate to having had an lj, which, as a middle/high schooler I never thought of as being "New Media," and was actually surprised by that in the Economist article, since I used it to keep in touch with people too.

Dan said...

Depending on your definition of new media, not using any videos/links/comments with your blog might actually make your blog new media. One definition of new media we discussed in class was "a form that draws attention to itself based on the form."

People are used to seeing blogs that have videos/links/comments. If you didn't include those, people might take more note of the medium.

It's issues like this why I struggle to find a good definition of new media - one that encompasses all aspects of new media and excludes all old media.

Delia DeCourcy said...

Taylor- What strikes me most about this post is how it flows from one connected idea to the next. I can see how and why you're making connections between posts, which creates the sense for me that I know you--even though I don't. Very conversational--the conversation with yourself that you're sharing with us. But your style gets at something I was thinking about earlier this evening. I've noticed that blog posts tend to be focused on a single, discrete topic. I've started to think about blog posts as the equivalent of a paragraph in an essay--which is a poor analogy because we use paragraphs in blog posts. But anyway, I wonder if the focus (and often brevity) of posts exists as a convention to make commenting easier for readers? It's hard to comment on your post because it's full of so many ideas. I'm wondering what the effect is if you break the post into three? This is a pretty hypothetical question and assumes you would have many readers who would want to comment on all your ideas in the post. Curious what you think?

As for your questions about credibility, I think establishing it as a Blogger is critical and is done by writing well--not just in terms of writing good sentences, but by forming compelling arguments that matter and are relevant to your readers. And these arguments can include image and video and sound when it will strengthen the argument. Now that self-publishing (in the form of blogging) is so prevalent, building credibility is even more important. We can't just rely on the source (in this case, Blogger) and thus assume the material is legit. We have to become more analytical readers and Bloggers have to be convincing and engaging if they want to maintain a readership.